UCDNet2 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
This UCDNet2 Web site was archived on June 28, 2002.
Please send your questions to Barbara
Bloomfield. Check out the UCDNet2 Glossary for
the definitions of frequently used words.
- What are the monthly service rates for the UCDNet2 NAMs?
See CR Rates on the Web at http://cr.ucdavis.edu/rates/index.cfm#Data.
- Why is the name of our building on the UCDNet2 Project different than the
building name we use?
The UCDNet2 Project uses the official campus building names recorded with Accounting
and Financial Services. Following the building name is a unique four-digit Capital
Asset Account Number (CAAN) assigned by campus Accounting and Financial Services.
- We may not need all the NAMs allocated to our building. Do we have to activate
all of them at cutover?
No, all installed UCDNet2 NAMs do not have to be activated, however, there will
be a port charge and activation charge if the NAM is activated at a later date.
- We are having new NAMs installed soon in one of the buildings specified
in the UCDNet2 Project. When UCDNet2 is connected to the building, will we
have to pay again for the new NAMs we are now installing to receive UCDNet2
All new NAMs now installed will be compatible with UCDNet2 connectivity and
will be cutover with the UCDNet2 NAMs. There will be no additional charge.
- Can we use a desktop switch with UCDNet2 connectivity?
Yes. A desktop switch allows one NAM and Port to be shared among several devices. If
a desktop switch is connected to a UCDNet2 NAM, the wiring from the switch to workstations
a. Be within the same room.
b. Not penetrate any walls.
c. Not go through any ceiling space; and
d. Not violate any fire or safety codes.
Generic specifications for 10/100 Mb Fast Ethernet switch:
- capable of both full duplex and half duplex
- auto sensing in both duplexity and speed
- must be a switch and not a hub
Communications Resources will not troubleshoot the network beyond the NAM.
Can we use a hub with UCDNet2 connectivity?